Lead Software Engineer
Remote or Bristol Office
Who are we?
CellVoyant is a biotechnology company that predicts stem cell differentiation using live cell microscopy and artificial intelligence. We use this approach to optimise and unlock human tissue manufacturing for research and therapeutics applications.
We spun out from the Carazo Salas lab at the University of Bristol in 2022 and are backed by venture capital firms who were the earliest investors in DeepMind, Exscientia, Recursion, Wayve, and Abcam.
What we’re looking for
As Lead Software Engineer, you are responsible for the design, build and continuous improvement of the software infrastructure and applications that power our core cell fate prediction platform.
You’ll be working closely with the Machine Learning team (who build, integrate, test and scale our computer vision for cell fate prediction) and Biology team (who design and run our cell biology experiments for microscopy data collection and differentiation protocol development).
You will build software that the Biology team uses to capture, store, and analyse microscopy data, and that the Machine Learning team uses to build, integrate, test and scale ML features for production.
What you’ll do in this role
- Provide technical leadership and implement software engineering best practices, including defining the vision and software strategy at CellVoyant in collaboration with the leadership team.
- Communicate and drive consensus on this strategy and plan with other teams across the company.
- Define and build internal applications and data products for our Biology team with a focus on scalable and reproducible workflows. This includes a platform for storing, visualising, and analysing high-resolution microscopy data and tracking all experimental data.
- Collaborate with the Machine Learning team to define and build our internal training, testing, and serving infrastructure.
Our ideal candidate will have
- 5+ years software engineering experience with full lifecycle development from design and inception to production.
- Experience managing a team of software engineers.
- Expertise with cloud infrastructure, distributed systems, continuous integration systems and unit testing.
- High standards for clear, actionable communication of data-driven processes.
Nice to haves
- Experience in a biotechnology company or a background in biology are not necessary, but intellectual curiosity is a must!
- Experience working on AI-first software products, data platforms, and machine learning infrastructure tools, and bonus if in the context of biotechnology.
What we offer at CellVoyant
- Join at the ground level to work at the cutting-edge of artificial intelligence, stem cell biology, empirical experiment automation, and cell therapy development.
- An inclusive, collaborative and intellectually stimulating culture that puts science at the forefront of everything we do.
- A dynamic, diverse, and inclusive team of experienced and interdisciplinary scientists applying their skills to some of the most impactful problems in human health.
- Competitive salary and founding equity compensation.
- Ability to work remotely or in our Bristol, UK headquarters and join bi-annual week-long company off sites.
The interview process:
- Initial phone screen (30 mins)
- At-home technical test
- Technical interview reviewing the test results and follow-up (90 mins)
- Leadership, Culture & Behaviours Interview (90 mins)
- Meet the Team (onsite including tour 60 mins)
How to Apply
Does this role sound like a good fit? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org including the role’s title in the subject line with your CV or personal website where we can learn about your experience.